12.27.2014

OPTIMISTIC GRIEVANCES: APARTMENT EDITION

We live in the "historic district." 

It sounds rather quaint, doesn't it?

And it is. It's quite charming.

Really.

But every now and then, the charm just can't make up for...other things about the house.

Other things that I'm not always so happy about.

But I don't want to write a long, ranty post about these things, so I'm going to share my grievances as if the glass is half full (just like our bathtub, after approximately the first two minutes of taking a shower):


This was my face as I typed the rest of this post out.

I'm grateful for the 16-19 streams of water that do come out of our shower head, and the three twist ties that keep it in an upright position that mostly works.

The paint that peels off the bottom of our bathtub during every single use of the shower reminds me that our house is old, and therefore vintage, and therefore really cool. 

The condensation that lingers on almost every surface in our bedroom for over an hour after we shower makes me grateful that we can have hot showers, as long as the neighbors aren't doing laundry.

Doing our laundry is free, and we get to use the machines whenever we want...during the times that our neighbors who we share the machines with aren't doing laundry.

The holes along the edges of the carpet in our living room allow us to see each other and talk about the scarcity or abundance of laundry soap while one of us is loading the washer in the basement, and they never make me terrified of the gigantic spiders that may or may not decide to use these openings to come up and kill me.

I'm grateful that those same ginormous spiders I observe while doing laundry in our basement let me wash my clothing in peace and have not attacked me (yet).

The huge, dark, scary hole in the wall of the basement leading to farther and deeper regions beneath the house has not yet produced either a monster or hobo bent on killing me while I put clothing into the machines.

The lack of windows that can be opened in the house makes me appreciate houses that do have ventilation. Which is like, every other house currently in existence.

I'm grateful to have counters in our kitchen that provide just enough space for all of our appliances and kitchen utensils, because who needs counter space to make meals anyways?

Pressing our old gas oven's baking temperature button x number of times to get it to randomly land on the right temperature makes me grateful for the times when I only have to press it once or twice to land on 350°. 

Having to put a fridge in our living room due to a lack of space in the kitchen has opened my eyes to decorative possibilities I had never before imagined...it's truly an unprecedented aesthetic masterpiece. 

And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment