6.11.2015

IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE! IT'S...LENNY KRAVITZ?

I recently sent a letter to the editor of my school’s newspaper after finding an error within one of its articles that was far more horrendous than its typical collegiate misuse of “there” for “their”, or vice versa, etc., etc. (At this level of education I wouldn’t expect that to be something anyone has mastered by now.) I simply could not restrain myself from correcting this egregious error, because beyond making homemade taquitos and finishing Season 2 of The Blacklist, there is nothing more important to me than making sure all 90s music references are correct. And, in order to become a true writer on the internet, I have to be outraged about something, right?

Right. So here it is:

Does Lenny Kravitz have Wings?

     Upon scanning the introductory paragraph to the article entitled "Title title title title title title title title title title title title", I noticed the sentence “Sentence sentence sentence sentence like Lenny Kravitz and fly like an eagle,” and found myself befuddled. What could this reference possibly mean? Certainly, the author could not be insinuating that Mr. Kravitz sang the famous cover of The Steve Miller Band’s 1976 hit “Fly Like an Eagle.” That was Seal, who covered the song for the soundtrack of “Space Jam” in the 90’s—the version our generation is most familiar with. Such a careless and incorrect reference would never be made by a careful reporter who checks for veracity in all of his or her research, and certainly would be caught by an editor before being published in a newspaper!
     So I continue to struggle with this reference which, I believe, must refer to something I as a relatively informed citizen am unaware of. Does Lenny Kravitz actually have wings hidden beneath his trademark leather jackets? Is he fond of parasailing? Is there a suave and stylish bird at some zoo affectionately referred to as “Lenny Kravitz?” I’m not sure. But I am sure of the answers to these questions:
     Are all African American artists interchangeable? No.
    Should reporters and, subsequently, their editors, research any and all references they make? Yes.
     Am I disappointed in my school’s newspaper?
     Why yes, yes I am.

________________________________________________________________________

NOTE:

Upon receiving this letter, the editors corrected their mistake, and balance was again restored to the universe. (For now.)

ANOTHER NOTE:

I just wanted to add that my husband is passionately singing "Kiss From a Rose" right now. We love you, Seal.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are making sure no one messes with 90's music references. Because after making homemade tacquitos, that really is one of the most important thing any 90's child can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to know I'm not alone in this difficult endeavor--sometimes the burden is almost too hard to bear.

    ReplyDelete