9.23.2017

AN ASSIGNMENT FROM THE CODING CLASS I JUST QUIT

Yo. Just jumping in here to share that I just quit this coding class I was taking because I'm a giant weenie (being real with you guys, okay? AREN'T I SO AUTHENTIC AND REAL BECAUSE I'M SHARING NOT PERFECT STUFF WITH YOU OHMGOSH) but before I high-tailed it out of there, I coded this post for a grade. No idea what grade it got. Because I left. But I had a lot of fun making this to weird out the TA so I thought I'd put it on here in its original HTML format for your perusal and inevitable entertainment. 

*runs and hides in a cave*




MY PAL NANCE

The detective with whom my love of literature began.


HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

In second grade, like many children, I said goodbye to the simple picture books of my youth and entered the world of chapter books. This was a grittier world, full of real plots and suspense and--gasp--pages with no pictures. Gone were the days musing on the antics of a very hungry caterpillar or saying "Goodnight" to the moon. I was a big kid now. And this big kid was going to read her some Nancy Drew.
I don't recall exactly how I got into the Nancy Drew book series, but it may have had to do with the fact that Costco was selling 6 packs of the books at the time, and my parents were no strangers to Costco. But I took to the tales of mystery and intrigue quickly, enjoying reading about the antics of Nancy, Bess, and George as they somehow found a way to get into interesting situations book after book--56 times, even. There may have been a few other reasons I liked this series as well:
  • Nancy Drew was grown up and cool, and so I, therefore, was grown up and cool by association.
  • I liked collecting things, and since there are literally thousands of these books*, I could always keep buying more to add to my bookshelf.
  • I had a cool bookmark with all of the books pictured on it and I got to check off a book every time I finished one.
  • Carolyn Keene was a literary genius, greater even than Shakespeare himself**.

AN EYE FOR THE ARTS

But, rather than go on about the many virtues of the series or discuss specific plot details, I have decided instead to dwell on the book covers of these novels in this post. This is mainly because
  1. I don't actually remember any specific plot details.
  2. and
  3. I find great pleasure in offering my keen and professional opinion*** on all matters aesthetic.

So, without further ado, I will now proceed to list my favorite book covers within the Nancy Drew book series, as well as offer my insights on why they are so successful, for your reading pleasure. (Please keep in mind that I am referring to the newest covers produced, since many of the books received new cover art over time.)

The Secret of the Old Clock

No list of the best Nancy Drew covers of all time would be complete without mentioning the first book of the series. Because, well, it's the first. I enjoy this cover not only for the lovely shade of green of Nancy's dress, but also for the sense of mystery it successfully conveys, leading us to ask questions. Questions like, "Why is Nancy sitting in a field at night?", "Who, or what, is she looking at that we cannot see?", and "What is she going to do with that screwdriver?"

The Mystery at Lilac Inn

Okay, maybe this is just me, but there is definitely a ghost on the cover of this one. A GHOST. That's reason enough to like it, but then the illustrator gives us more:
  • Lilacs. Big fan.
  • Nancy's matching lilac-colored blouse.
  • Her glowing wrist. Not sure what's going on there, but I like it.
The Secret of Shadow Ranch

I think most people are aware of the fact that young girls like horses, so the illustrator really struck gold with this one. And not only is Nancy riding a horse, but there's also a GLOWY LIGHTNING GHOST HORSE IN THE BACKGROUND. What more could a young girl want? Probably not anything else. But maybe a glitter pen.

*There are not literally thousands of Nancy Drew books.
**This is also not true.
***A minor in graphic design qualifies this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment