8.29.2018

A BRAIN FULL OF NOTHING

Do you ever think about all of the stuff taking up space in your brain that could probably (definitely) be used to house more important things? 

Because I think about this a lot. 

Typically in moments when I realize that I still know exactly where to find any Pokemon in the first three generations of Pokemon games. Or when I can name really obscure figures in Greek Mythology. Or when I can rap the entirety of songs like "Ice Ice Baby" and Will Smith's "Miami". (Yes, that is still hanging on in some dark, dark corner of my brain.)

Or the other day, when I realized that, twelve years later, I can still list the 53 prepositions that I had to memorize for a 7th grade Language Arts test in alphabetical order. To prove it, I will now type them all out as fast as humanly possible--the same way I have to say them out loud since slowing down will probably make me mess up. Ahem: 

about above across after against along amid among around at atop before behind below beneath beside between beyond but by concerning down during except for from in inside into like near of off on onto out outside over past regarding since through throughout to toward under underneath until up upon with within without 

This will really come in handy in the future when I'm on Jeopardy and the final question will involve having to recite all of these prepositions. Or when I'm kidnapped someday and the only way to escape will be to recite all of these prepositions. Or when I'm stranded on a desert island and the only way to make fire and survive will be to recite all of these prepositions. Or when I'm in an action movie and the only way to stop a bomb from detonating while simultaneously rescuing the bus of children whose lives are hanging in the balance will be to recite all of these prepositions. 

The point is, with the sheer amount of random and mostly useless things that fill my brain, I'm starting to wonder just how much space is left for anything else to squeeze in. Because I'd like to leave a little room for, oh, I don't know, stuff that might actually come in handy one day...or at least stuff that really matters. But I don't think there's much hope for that because my brain is basically a giant information sponge and the thin membrane separating it from the rest of the world almost guarantees instant osmosis and retention of things like rabbits being lagomorphs and the name of Mrs. Weasley's favorite singer being Celestina Warbeck and that Hemingway's first wife's name was Hadley and that the nickname of the Onyx you can get by trading a Bellsprout in Violet City in Pokemon Silver will always be Rocky. 

Yep. 

Party in the city where the heat is on all night on the beach till the break of dawn--

Yeah, there's no hope. 


P.S. Recently, after writing this, I sang the entire "Ripped My Pants" song from Spongebob out of nowhere and knew I had to write this here to further prove the point that MY BRAIN IS FULL OF THIS STUFF AND IT TERRIFIES ME.  

No comments:

Post a Comment