3.24.2016

THE MAN WITH THE LEAF BLOWER: A STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS EXPERIENCE

*Walking on campus on the way home*

*Sees maintenance worker at the end of the path walking towards me, holding a running leaf blower pointed at the edge of the sidewalk*

I bet using a leaf blower is fun. 
Less strenuous than raking, too. 

Why do they wait until Spring to clean up all the leaves? Wouldn't it make more sense to do that at the end of the fall? Why do we want these leaf corpses lying around all winter? There aren't any Christmas songs about leaves. They're just messy. They clutter things. Why let them sit around for months? 

And it's sad for them to have to look up at the little Spring leaf buds on the trees they were once attached to and realize that yep, they're still dead. Poor leaves. 

*Maintenance guy gets closer, notices I'm walking towards him*

*The leaf blower is still running*

Oh geez.

I'm wearing a skirt. A billowy skirt. And he is Aeolus, holding the wind.

I hope he's not a creep. 

What if he did that?? I can't even imagine what I would do in that situation. But really! Would I yell? Hit him? Run away in shame? Write a strongly-worded email to someone in a position of power? 

*physically tenses up in preparation for the worst*

*Maintenance guy points it toward the ground in an awkward, I-know-what-you're-thinking-and-I-am-making-it-abundantly-clear-that-I-am-not-even-thinking-about-that gesture*

I AM SAVED.

No comments:

Post a Comment