7.17.2018

THE HALO EFFECT

Scenario One:

Two detectives walk down a darkened alleyway in a classic Hollywood crime drama. They're wearing trench coats and smoking cigars underneath lowered pork pie hats. This is playing. It's sepia-toned, or, at least, it feels somehow sepia-toned. 

Detective Jim Sawyer: I don't know about you, Bart, but I think this latest piece of evidence points directly to our prime suspect.

Detective Bart Jefferson: I could see why you might think that, Jim, but he's not the killer, see.

Sawyer: Oh really, now? And why is that, Bart?

Jefferson: Isn't it obvious, Jim?

Sawyer: No, it's not, Bart. We found his ring at the scene of the crime! How could he not be the killer? 

*the camera zooms in closer to Bart's face as the music swells into climactic suspense*

Jefferson: He's from Wisconsin, Jim. There's no way a man from Winsconsin could commit such a crime. 

Sawyer: *incredulous* Just because someone is from the same state as you doesn't mean they can do no wrong! Surely you know that, Bart! Surely you must know! 

Jefferson: I don't know much, Jim, but I do know this. And you've just gotta trust me. This man is innocent." 

_________________________________________________________________________________

Scenario Two: 

A mom and daughter are sitting in a quaint cafe, waiting for their orders to be served as they chat and enjoy being together during the holiday season. This is playing. This is a Hallmark movie.

Sharon: So your fiancĂ©, Jeff, tell me about him! 

Holly: Oh, Mom, he's just so wonderful! I can't stop thinking about him! 

Sharon: So when did you two meet? 

Holly: Yesterday!

Sharon: Holly, don't you think that's a little soon? 

Holly: For most girls, yes, but this is different! 

Sharon: And how is it different? 

Holly: *leans in, eyes wide with excitement* He's from Washington! *squeals*

Sharon: Oh! If he's from Washington, just like we are, then I have no issues at all with this turn of events in your life! Let's go shop for a dress! 

Holly: I love you, Mom!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Scenario Three:

The chief of police on a gritty, weeknight television drama sits behind his desk in his well-lit office, opposite a tearful woman clutching a tissue in her hands. Generic, dramatic music creates tension in the background. 

Captain Eggers: Now, Mrs. Francis, we're going to do everything we can to find your son, but we'll need a little more information from you to make that happen. May I ask you some more questions? 

Mrs. Francis: Yes. Anything you want to know. I just want my son! *devolves into sobs*

Captain Eggers: I understand. But you're going to have to hold it together just a little longer. Is that alright? 

Mrs. Francis: Yes, yes. Of course it is. 

Captain Eggers: Okay. So we believe your son was taken by this man. *holds up a picture* Do you recognize him? 

Mrs. Francis: Yes, I do. I left my son with him while I ran back to my car to grab my purse, and when I got back, he was gone. But there's no way it's him! 

Captain Eggers: Why are you so sure? 

Mrs. Francis: He said he was from California! 

Captain Eggers: What? 

Mrs. Francis: I'm from California, and whenever other people are from California, too, I just trust them--even if they're a complete stranger. Because they're from California! 

Captain Eggers: But aren't there millions of people in California? How could every person from California be trustworthy?

Mrs. Francis: I just know.

No comments:

Post a Comment