5.16.2013

MODESTY: WHY IT'S A GOOD IDEA

So it's getting hot out again. And by hot, I mean it's not snowing. Because let's just face it, "hot" for me is something drastically different than it is for...say, a tribe of people chilling on the equator. Ha. Chilling. And normally, this type of weather brings me buckets of discomfort for one of two reasons:

1. Really hot weather means sweat happens. And sweat is gross. 

2. A growing number of girls apparently believe that the sun uncovering itself is an invitation for them to do the same...which means that they basically walk out of the house without clothes on. Now that's hot, folks.

Except for not at all.

So while I'm on the subject, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on the matter...because I have lots of feelings. And hopefully some insight on the whole modesty thing. 

Growing up, I was taught to dress modestly. What does that mean, you ask? That means that I don't put my body on display: my shirts are never too low, my skirts come to my knees, and I don't feel some unspoken urge to present my navel to the entirety of society on a daily basis. Hard to believe, I know. At first I went along with "being modest" because that's how I was raised, and because I never found it an issue to do so. As I grew older friends would sometimes comment on how "restricted" I must feel, how it must be horrible to "have to follow" such a rule, and how deprived I am from "being free" and "living my life."

First of all, wut? *checks breathing* Yep, still living, guys. Second of all, no one is forcing me to do anything. And lastly, I have realized over the years that respecting yourself by dressing modestly actually gives you a lot more freedom in every aspect of your life than the alternative. Loads more. But for specificity's sake, I'm going to talk about it in the particular vein of what I think is one of the biggest ironies in society. Ahem:

Women always complain about being objectified by men. All. The. Time. Seriously. A typical conversation with one goes something like this:

"Hey Emily, what's up?""Not much! Just going to get some groceries and swing by the bookstore an-OH MY GOODNESS WHY IS EVERYONE SO SEXIST I AM SUCH A VICTIM RANT CRY RANT."

And they do this while worshiping popular female performers-- performers who prance around their respective stages belting out anthems about how independent and powerful they are all while wearing ridiculously revealing outfits and dancing super suggestively...and therefore objectifying themselves in the process. It makes absolutely no sense at all. The irony of this is blatantly obvious and yet people still don't see it. They sit on their couches watching them girate across the television screen while shouting something along the lines of "You GO girl!" and snapping in a Z formation or pumping their fists along to the over-processed, thumping beat and then an hour later they're like "Argh! Why men objectify me?! I am strong woman!"

And I want to laugh, but it's actually pretty sad. So I don't.

Really though. Like, it's almost entertaining when women talk about how guys are all disgusting pigs who only want them for their bodies. They get together and sassily discuss how they'll never find a "good man" because the guys they meet are less interested in their brains and personalities than...other parts of them. But the thing is, these are the same women who wear extremely low cut, plunging necklines or otherwise revealing clothing to places like the grocery store...or their grandfather's funeral. And they do it because they're FREE and INDEPENDENT and PROUD of their bodies. And they can do what they want, because FEMINISM.

And then they wonder why the guys who pursue them are complete bags of trash. Um...did you ever consider the fact that exposing yourself might be the equivalent to filling the trough for all of the creepy, pervy pigs in the world? Because it is.

And that's where modesty comes in. When you're tastefully dressing yourself, what are people naturally going to focus on? Your face, that's what. And the things associated with it-- like your personality...and your thoughts and ideas...and basically everything that makes you who you are. That's where their attention should go. When you're treating your body with respect, you'll attract guys who treat you with respect. Simple as that. 

And if you think you won't be as "attractive" by covering up, I'll leave you with the words of my lovely, close personal friend Ms. Emma Watson (a woman whom many men find very, very attractive):

“I find the whole concept of being ‘sexy’ embarrassing and confusing...I know everyone wants a picture of me in a mini-skirt. But that’s not me. I feel uncomfortable. I’d never go out in a mini-skirt. It’s nothing to do with protecting the Hermione image. I wouldn’t do that. Personally, I don’t actually think it’s even that sexy. What’s sexy about saying, ‘I’m here with my boobs out and a short skirt, have a look at everything I’ve got?’ My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder.” 

So, yeah. Modesty. It's a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment