12.21.2017

THOUGHTS ON ALL THE LAST JEDI RAGE

Unless you've been hiding under a rock (and this isn't meant to be condescending because I kind of wish I was under the rock with you right now), you know that a new Star Wars movie has come out, and that certain people out there are letting everyone know that they are OUTRAGED about it. 

Completely, unequivocally, OUTRAGED. 

Their childhoods are ruined, the Skywalker saga is ruined, and the world as they know it is coming to an end all because Disney decided to do something different with Star Wars than they were expecting. 

I, for one, really enjoyed the film (for a myriad of reasons I won't get into now), but I can understand how people may have been taken aback by some of it. However, what I can't understand is the vitriolic and hateful and ANGRY reaction people are having online. Can we all just take a step back, take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

It is a movie. 

It is a movie. 

It is a movie.

Can you imagine if these people could channel this rage towards something like, oh, I don't know, poverty? Terrorism? A lack of clean water in so many communities around the world? Can you imagine what that would look like? 

"I can't believe Rian Johnson this politician didn't write that bill about child poverty the way I wanted him to."

"There are children out there who don't get to watch Star Wars like I did when I was a kid because they are less fortunate than I was and the thought of it RUINS MY CHILDHOOD." 

"Canto Bight? I can't abide the fact that there are homeless people in my community that I'm not helping with the gobs of my free time I've been spending on such meaningless things." 

"I am not an entitled, sad person who gets angry about Star Wars. I GET MAD ABOUT THINGS LIKE GENOCIDE. THAT'S DEFINITELY SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. EVERYONE WHO MAKES GENOCIDE HAPPEN SHOULD STEP DOWN." 

Please enjoy this nice little slice of perspective. 

You can wash it down with some Ahch-To alien-milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment